Thursday 19 April 2012

Mushroom Risotto - without the mushrooms (or the risotto)

Sometimes you just have to make do with what you've got in the fridge and store cupboard, (or the press, as we say in Ireland). I knew we had some sausages to use up. Sausages and mash! But there were no spuds...

So somehow I thought, hmmmm, mushroom risotto, I'm sure I have some mushrooms left from my veggie friend night. But no, none of them either. So what to cook?

Sausage Risotto! Based loosely on a Jamie Oliver recipe, I fried the onions, peppers and cut-up sausages. Then threw in some rosemary and then the rice (Basmati - haven't got any risotto rice either. Mind you, I've never made risotto before - what AM I doing?). Went to the fridge for some white wine (not drinking tonight, honest), opened it up, and it's RED! It's all very mixed up today, isn't it? One of my Saturday guests must have brought a bottle of Les Plates Pierres and stuck it in the fridge without me noticing. Maybe I should have a drink after all.

Anyway, added the wine, cooked it off, then some chicken stock (I like the organic Kallo ones, as they are supposed to be healthier...) then, some little tomatoes and herbs. Just kept stirring until the stock was absorbed, then kept adding little cups of water until the rice was done. Stir in a knob of butter at the end, just to cream it up a little.

It tasted ok. Just ok. A bit like a bowl of chicken soup. Sprinkled over some parmesan to add a bit of something, but still, not my scrummiest supper.

Then the following night we had to have it again! Himself added some chilli sauce and a couple of Sainsbury's lamb kebabs. Now we've finally used up all the barbecue stuff from Saturday. It was better, but I don't think it's something I would rave about and cook again.

I did take a photo but it didn't do it justice. Well there was no justice to be done. Next time I have sausages to use up, I HOPE I have spuds in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the blogging world go round. Please let me know your thoughts, thank you!