Tuesday 24 April 2012

Chicken Haryali (Green Chicken)

This one is from another Indian cookbook, The Indian Kitchen by Monisha Bharadwaj, given to me by my sister. It's more of an authentic Indian food one, rather than trying to re-create restaurant dishes. Some crackers in it though! This is one you can find in a restaurant but I've never tried it - it was recommended by a friend as her regular takeaway dish, though she likes it mild, I've thrown two chillies in!

Start off by marinading the chicken in yoghurt, mint (a big bunch), coriander (likewise) (unfortunately I didn't have any... ) ginger, garlic, chilli and turmeric and a pinch of salt.


Marinading the chicken in yoghurt, mint, ginger, garlic, chilli and turmeric, all whizzed up.

Then gently fry some cardamons, cloves, black peppercorns, and a cinnamon stick, just for a minute or so. Add in some chopped onions and cook until translucent. Then chuck in any other (green) veg you fancy, I used courgette and (red) pepper. I know, you sometimes just have to compromise. Then add in the chicken and the marinade. Be careful to lower the heat here, to prevent the yoghurt from curdling. Unfortunately I didn't take my own advice here, and it did curdle a bit, but I managed to save it by lowering the heat straight away and adding a little water and stirring it round. Cook this until the chicken is done, nice and tender. Add in some ground almonds towards the end to thicken it up a little.



Murg Hariyali (Green Chicken)



Nice and tasty. More yellow than green though, thanks to the turmeric. I think fresh coriander would have made it even nicer. And despite the two chillies, yes, those little red ones which are Really Hot, it wasn't that hot, must have been all the yoghurt. But I will try this again, with extra chilli!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the blogging world go round. Please let me know your thoughts, thank you!